Please be advised that the December 1 closure to 20th Street NW is tentative. We will work with the project team and post a follow-up message for the community as soon as the date is confirmed.
On Saturday, December 1, 20th Street will be closed from S Street NW to Florida Avenue NW from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. A mobile crane will be used to place materials on the roof necessary for completing roof installation.
Please be aware of the following details of the work:
- Parking on 20th Street will be restricted starting at 4 a.m. on both sides of the street.
- The sidewalk will be closed in front of the AGU building only.
- 20th Street will not be accessible by vehicles between S Street and Florida Avenue, except for local traffic, which will have access to the 20th Street alley via S Street and 19th Street.
- Normal vehicular traffic will use 19th Street as a signed detour.
- Entrances to apartment buildings opposite the AGU building on 20th Street will not be impacted during this time.
- Glen’s Garden Market on 20th Street will be open during their normal business hours and accessible by foot during this period of work.
As construction continues, we will work with the project team to keep the community informed of any future closures.
Residents and businesses in the neighborhood may also notice increased activity around the building during the week of 10 – 14 December. AGU convenes one of the world’s largest annual gatherings of Earth and space scientists. This year, AGU will host this meeting in Washington, DC for the first time to officially launch our Centennial celebration. While most events will occur at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, AGU will provide our members with tours of the renovations and will host a small number of events at the building. These activities will not require any additional road closures and will not have significant impacts on the neighborhood.
Our priority throughout construction is to be a good neighbor. If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.
For emergency concerns regarding the site, please contact:
- Rich Hillringhouse, Skanska Sr. Superintendent, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-391-2717;
- Brian Mukolwe, Skanska project manager, at 301-651-7370; or please dial 301-795-3100
You can also follow our progress at building.agu.org.
Thank you for your continued support!