AGU Friends and Neighbors,
When we decided to renovate our headquarters with the goal of achieving net zero energy, we knew that we were signing on to a first-of-its-kind project that would evolve and take shape through planning, design and construction.
From the beginning, the project team has been mindful that the timeline could change as new discoveries are made. As the team continues to work hard to tap into existing site resources for the first time and navigate new approval processes, it has become clear to us that construction will go beyond the originally anticipated timeline, and into late summer. I want to take the time to provide an update to you on what we can expect over the next few months. Through September 2018, we anticipate the following:
- Visible outdoor construction work will continue.
- The areas of sidewalk on Florida Avenue and 20th Street that line the AGU building will remain closed as a safety precaution as work continues in both of those areas.
- There may be intermittent full-day or half-day closures on 20th Street as a safety precaution to accommodate deliveries. We will work closely with the project team to provide details and an alternate traffic route in advance of anticipated closures.
- All businesses on Florida Avenue and 20th Street will remain open during normal business hours for the duration of construction.
One of the most important aspects of this project has been the support from our members and the community. AGU is as committed as ever to sharing all the lessons learned throughout the process and is excited to welcome staff, members and our neighbors back to our new “home” in 2018.
Be sure to check back in with us here as we continue to share the progress we are making as final major construction milestones are completed, like the municipal sewer heat exchange connection, and the installation of the PV array and green wall.
Our priority throughout construction is to be a good neighbor. If you have questions, please contact [email protected]
For emergency concerns regarding the site, please contact:
- Jim Herdman, Skanska superintendent, at [email protected] or 240-393-1928;
- Brian Mukolwe, Skanska project manager, at 301-651-7370;
- or please dial 301-795-3100
Thank you for your continued support!